Thursday, January 22, 2009

Back when the earth was cooling,
when I was but a child,
I dreamed of conquering the world.
My imagination ran wild.
After turning a bit older,
I decided the world could wait.
I was having too much fun,
to worry about my fate.
As I approached my puberty;
everything about me changed,
I felt the world was a crazy place;
all of the people were strange!
When full 'teendom" hit me,
with hormones teeming and raging.
I was too busy ogling the guys,
to give much thought to aging.
As a young adult my plans were grand;
I'd get a college degree.
But alas, came marriage and kids,
first one, then two, then three.....
The only world I conquered then
was a mound of diapers and dishes.
I spent most of my days forgetting
to ponder my conquering wishes.
Years flew past and found me
sitting in an empty nest.
"Now!", I thought, "I can really tear loose
and show the world my best.
"I'm back to dreams of conquering,
though my focus changed a bit.
I look high and low for a cure for vertigo
and bi-focals that fit.
Everything I touch I seem to lose,
yet I giggle and dance with glee!
I still find things that make me smile;
like a friend who's slower than me!

2 comments: